Recent Posts

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Red Velvet Cookies


Merry Christmas Season! For some reason today I am overwhelmingly in the Christmas spirit. It usually works out that I write about a recipe days sometimes weeks, and on the rare occasion months after I make it. Not with these cookies. Nope I just made them. The hubby is in cookie bliss right now watching the championship football games.
















As I made these I was able to see our Christmas tree that was all lit up and beautiful. When I looked outside I was able to see the neighbors' yard lights which are equally as beautiful. I like to think the lights made these cookies extra good. The theme this week is Christmas Cookies. I love to bake in general... but Cookies are my thing :) I think that a lot of cookies could qualify as Christmas cookies. Put them on a cookie platter and no one is going to complain and say please take those cookies off.

With this in mind it was hard to decide which three cookies to share with you this week. I finally decided on 3 cookies that I personally only make at Christmas.



So these are red velvet cookies and they are a little naughty. For starters you melt decadent baking chocolate to flavor the batter. Then you pour in chocolate chips to make them even greater. Its all topped off with cream cheese frosting. Yup... two chocolates and cream cheese frosting. There is no way that these cookies could taste bad.

Jim's family lives in southern Indiana and as I have mentioned before we live in Michigan. So we meet in the middle for a Christmas weekend. We usually do this around the Indy area, since its close to half way. In the past we have gotten hotel rooms for the night and make a whole event of it. Close to the hotel there is a shopping center that has a great bakery. We go to the bakery and each pick out a couple cookies each, because they have a deal buy 6 get 6 free. The first time I ever tasted a Red Velvet cookie was at this bakery. It was Christmas time, so that is probably why I only make them at Christmas, but they would be great for Valentines day too.

















As I pulled these cookies out of the oven, hubby made the comment those are kind of small. Yes they are small compared to my larger cookies like these chocolate mint swirl cookies. However they are meant to be small. Seriously these chocolate packed cookies with yummy frosting are so good. Just a little bit will satisfy your cookie cravings. At least that is my opinion. I think hubby may have just eaten.... well we will just say quite a few. I'm sure its due to football watching stress.

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients

Cookies
2 one - oz squares unsweetened  baking chocolate
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 Tbsp red food coloring
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi- sweet)

Frosting
1/4 cup softened butter
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Break the baking chocolate into smaller pieces and put into a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1.5 minutes on high. Stir after taking it out of the microwave, it should be warm enough to be completely smooth after you have stirred it. Set aside for now.

In a large bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar Beat until the mixture is smooth. Then add in the baking soda and salt. Mix again until well combined. Add the egg and beat again until its well incorporated. Now add in the red food coloring and mix the batter again.

Add the melted chocolate and mix the batter again. Add half of the flour (1 cup) at this time. Mix at a lower speed until well combined. Next add in the sour cream, and mix again. Then add the remaining flour (1 cup). Mix again on low.

Finally stir in the chocolate chips. Form balls that are a little larger than 1 Tbsp and place them on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes.

Let the cookies cool, while you prepare the frosting. For the frosting mix together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. I used my hand mixer to do this in a medium sized bowl. Then add the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments.

Spread the frosting on the cookies, and sprinkle with sprinkles for a little extra Christmas cheer.

Eat and Enjoy!

This recipe was adapted from Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes From the Cookie Jar (Hannah Swensen Mystery) [Hardcover].

You may also enjoy




















Chocolate Mint Swirl Pudding Cookies
















Chocolate Raspberry Cookies