Recent Posts

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Carmelized Onion Dip

















Do you ever make a recipe and then not remember later how it went or if you would have changed anything? I use to have that problem all the time. However I started this neat trick that if I make a recipe in a cookbook or magazine then I put a post it note in it with my thoughts. That way when I pull out the recipe again weeks, months, or years later I can remember my thoughts.

Today's recipe is from the Master Chef cookbook from its first season. They just finished the fourth season last night. The coincidence was totally unplanned. However I am super excited to see the winner Luca's cookbook when it comes out. I'm sure it will have some awesome recipes for me to try :)

















Anyway back to today's recipe. I pulled the cookbook out.. and this is what my post it said. "Super Bowl Dip! Super easy to make and turned out awesome. Would share with a friend." Hmmm pretty good high praise. I kind of chuckled about the share with a friend part, since I'm not sure what I meant about that at the time.  However I consider everyone who follows the blog a friend. So I'm going to share it with all of you :)

Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 medium sized onions
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise

 Thinly slice the onions. Add the oil and butter to a large pan and melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the onions, salt, and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch them closely at the end. They should be caramelized, but not burnt. Take the onions off the heat and let cool for 15 minutes.

Add the cream cheese to a large bowl, and use a hand mixer to smooth it out. Mix until the cream cheese is free of large lumps. Add the sour cream and the mayonaise, and mix again until everything is incorpoarted.

Mix in the onions with all of their juices by hand. Put in the fridge covered to chill. It is recommended to chill for at least two hours.

Serve with potato chips and Enjoy!
















 This recipe adapted from the MasterChef Cookbook

You may also enjoy
















Mexican Hotdogs

















Grilled Banana Boats

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just wish that there had been a party when I made it, then I would have ate less myself :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to watch football with the in-laws this weekend. Maybe I should make it happen!

    ReplyDelete