Recent Posts

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Corn Casserole
















Did you miss me on Tuesday? I sure missed all of you. We had pretty bad storms in this area on Sunday. On Sunday we lost power for a couple of hours. No biggie. I went and took a nap and all was good when I woke up. We didn't have Internet or cable, again not ideal but doable. Jim and I watched a movie from our collection and all was good.

Monday we woke up happy, and went to work. I get home from work on Monday and we have no power. What? It was pretty obvious that something happened to the power pole at the end of our sub. It was all crumbled up and was surrounded by corn. Again what? I later found out that a tractor was traveling by and hit it. Normally they probably would have had it fixed, but there were so many other people without power.
















So Monday and Tuesday night we got to enjoy a simpler life. No electricity, no heat, and no water. Now that I have power I see that Jim and I actually had a little fun with it. We went out to dinner both nights, no where fancy.. but it was just nice to talk and have someone else make the food. After dinner we went shopping for nothing. Totally checked out Target for an hour, and we only bought two things. Impressed right? The second night we took Ginny to the pet store so she could window shop. She loved that.

When we did get home we read books by candlelight, and slept with about 5 blankets on the bed. We survived, it wasn't the most comfortable, but it makes me even more THANKFUL for all the amenities we do have everyday. I got home today to find power restored... and I cleaned, washed dishes in the dishwater, and started a load of laundry. What a blessing to be able to do chores :)


















Ok so on to corn casserole which is way more than a day late, but still great. My sister makes this for every holiday dinner we have, no matter what the holiday. I love it, and had to ask her for the recipe to share with you. Now that I know how easy it is to make I am sure we will make it more often.

Ingredients

1 can cream style corn
1 cup ritz cracker crumbs (about one sleeve of crackers)
2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 cup celery chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 eggs beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X9 pan with spray butter.

Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Make sure everything is well combined, this can easily be done by hand. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake for 50-55 minutes.

Eat and Enjoy!

You may also enjoy
















Corn Chowder
















Chicken Pot Pie