Recent Posts

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chocolate Mint Brownies
















Anyone else have the Christmas season catch up with you really really fast. We have a band concert tonight for my niece Ally. Its her first one and she is playing the flute. I've been looking forward to it all day... and can't wait to hear all the songs that they will play. I'm guessing since its their first year and they are beginners it will be traditional songs which I will love.

We were eating dinner and we were just about finished and Jim is like can you make me a dessert for our potluck. Sure I say... I am practically the dessert queen. Then it comes... yeah its tomorrow. Love you honey! Luckily I have the perfect idea and all the ingredients in the house. Honestly if I'm not stocked with the ingredients for two blog weeks ahead then I start to stress out.
















I mean its winter and there could be a blizzard  (already had 2 this year). If you are stranded at home and have to bake #mydream. Then you have to be prepared with all the ingredients.

I got today's recipe at a baking show a couple of years back. I've made it for my extended family numerous times. It has also made a couple of appearances at the church potluck. Most recently it attended a Clue party with me. As usual everyone loved them. These are super easy to make, but you have to plan ahead for cooling time.

Ingredients

Base
1 box of brownies and extras called out on the box to make them

Filling
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp water
7 drops mint extract
5 drops green food coloring
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Topping
1 pkg chocolate chips
10 Tbsps, butter cut into 10 pieces

Bake the brownies in a 9X13 pan per directions on the box. Make sure and remember to grease or spray the bottom of the pan.

Once the brownies are out of the oven, let them cool completely. Then start making the filling. Combine the butter, water, mint extract, and green food coloring in a large bowl. Mix them with an electric mixer. When well combined start to beat in the powdered sugar. Beat in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time.

Spread the filling over the cooled brownies. Make sure to even it out as much as possible. Refrigerate until the filling is set. Plan 1.5 hours to be safe.

When the filling is set start the topping. Place the chocolate chips and butter into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Stir. Then continue to microwave in 15 second increments until the chips are completely melted. Pour the topping onto the filling.

Put the brownies back in the fridge to cool again. When the topping is set you can cut the brownies. I would plan on 1 hour of cool time. Take the brownies out of the fridge and allow them to warm up to room temperature before cutting them. I did not wait because I was late for the party, but trust me you will be happier with yourself if you have time to wait.

Eat and Enjoy!

This recipe originally appeared on Laura's Baking Talent.

You may also enjoy



 













Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars

















Chocolate Chip Cake