Recent Posts

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Smore Cookie Bars

So its officially S'MORE week! 



 
I follow quite a few food and baking blogs out there on the web. Every once in a while I will see a recipe and it haunts me until I actually get to make the recipe. If the recipe is great than that's great, if the recipe isn't great and doesn't meet my expectations its extremely disappointing.

 I'm not sure if anyone else out there gets haunted by recipes.. but if you do then you should definitely get haunted by this recipe. It is ABSOLUTELY fantastic. For starters it is one of the easiest cookie bars that I have made..secondly it looks AWESOME. Look at those HERSHEY BARS on top.. I mean its a dessert with little pieces of hershey goodness. Lastly but certainly not least these taste AMAZING.

So as all your summer activities start up or wind down think about making these great cookie bars and sharing them with all your friends and family. Trust me you will look like a baking hero and they will love you for bringing them.

 Ingredients

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers, I used my food processor)
4 Tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini marshamallows and quite a few extra for the top
1 regular sized milk chocolate Hershey bar

Line your 8X8 or 9X9 pan with parchment paper. Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Put the graham mixture into the pan and press it down to form the crust.


 
Cream butter in a mixer, add white and brown sugars and mix until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla, and mix till combined. In a seperate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Once everyting is mixed together well, add the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Spoon the cookie mixture on top of the graham cracker crust and even it out. This is actually really easy to do since the mixture is very thick.




Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. While the cookies are in the oven break the candy bar into 12 pieces and put the pieces in the freezer. You are doing this so that the pieces of candy bar don't melt when you put them in the warm cookies later on. About 15 minutes into the baking process.. I peeked in and looked at the bars and decide that there weren't enough marshmallows. So add about a handful of marshmallows.
When the cookie bars come out of the oven put in the hershey bars from the freezer. I also added more marshmallows, because can you really have to many marshmallows? I didn't think so.



I have to admit that these cookie bars didn't sit around for long....




This recipe originally appeared on chocolate chocolate and more.