Recent Posts

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Carrot Hummus


















I've decided that I want to do a small garden this year. The "plan" for the garden has been evolving. It started out with being a pallet garden, then went to a regular raised bed garden. Then I switched to the idea of a wicking container garden.

I've had lots of fun looking up different ideas on the web. The garden started this weekend when I started to germinate some tomato and pepper seeds. I've been coming home each day for work, and hoping to see if  the seeds have started to sprout. This is kind of ridiculous I know since its suppose to take 5-10 days for this to happen.

I was telling someone this story at church, and they were like you know that you would most likely not see them till next Sunday...they are probably thinking... she's an engineer. I can do the math obviously I just want super growing seeds.
















So I kind of accidentally feel into carrot week. I got back from vacation and I wanted to make the carrot cookies with orange frosting that I posted on Sunday.  I got done posting them and  was like what am I going to do for my second post? The idea of the garden got me into a "healthy" mood... so I really didn't want to not put the carrots into another dessert.

I was doing inventory in the cupboards and found a can of chickpeas... and I was like carrot hummus. I don't think you can get more healthy then that... so here you go. Easy, healthy, and tasty hummus... enjoy with crackers or more carrots. Me.. I will be off waiting for my seeds to sprout.





Carrot Hummus

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups carrots
  • 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 6 Tbsp cold water
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
Cooking Directions
  1. Chop the carrots into small pieces.
  2. Put the carrots into a saucepan and cover them with water.
  3. Bring the carrots to a boil, then cover them and cook for 10 minutes.
  4. Drain the carrots, mash them and set the aside to cool slightly.
  5. When cooled add the carrots to the food processor.
  6. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor: chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cold water, olive oil, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and white pepper.
  7. Pulse the food processor 8-10 times. Check consistency of the hummus. Pulse more if needed.

Recipe Source: Laura's Baking Talent

You may also enjoy