Recent Posts

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Blueberry Thing



If you have ever stayed at my parents house for any reason then you have probably tasted blueberry thing.  It is one of my favorite dishes that my mom makes, and for good reason because its absolutely delicious. So for almost any holiday we will have blueberry thing and homemade cinnamon rolls.. or if we are lucky both.

Blueberry thing isn't really a thing but its a coffeecake. When I was younger, my sister and I both worked at a farmers market. At the end of the day we would very often go home with extra fruits and veggies that hadn't sold that day. So in return my mom would send us back with homemade treats. Blueberry thing was named and loved by the owner Tony. He wasn't a huge talker but every once in a while he would be like when are you going to bring that blueberry thing back in. It was a sure sign he really wanted some when he send us home specifically with blueberries :)

July is national blueberry month... and they are just starting to come out in full force around me in Michigan. So I thought it was appropriate to make this blueberry week. Two of the recipes including this one are old favorites, and I found a new one that I think everyone will be super excited to try.

So here it goes from the vaults of my mothers recipe book... Blueberry Thing. I backed mine in a 9X9 pan since it was just Jim and I. I also have to admit I made it last night, and it is already gone... Yup... late night snack... Early Breakfast... and right before Church breakfast....

If you have a larger crowd, then I would double the recipe and do it in a 9X13 pan. That is how it was always served in my house :)

Ingredients:

Base:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
1/8 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup blueberries

Glaze

1/4 cup powered sugar
2 capfuls of milk (yes capfuls is an actual measurement).

Mix together the sugar and melted butter. Add the egg and milk and combine until well mixed. You can do this by hand and don't need a stand mixer. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until fully combined. Put in a greased and floured 9X9 pan. You can also do a round cake pan.

Wash the blueberries and mostly dry them. Cover with flour so that that they don't sink when they bake. Cover the top of the base with the blueberries.

In a small bowl mix together the sugar and Cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the berries. Bake at 325 for 40 minutes.

Wait for the base to cool, then cover with the glaze. For the glaze put the powdered sugar in a small bowl and add the milk one capful at a time. It took me two capfuls to get the texture that I wanted. You want it so its still thick but easy to drizzle.

Drizzle over the cooled cake.

Cut a piece and enjoy!


This recipe was originally posted on Laura's Baking Talent.

1 comment:

  1. ooooooooo........
    Gotta make me some Blueberry Thing!!!
    Rev Dr Kathleen Raphael DD LPN

    ReplyDelete