Recent Posts

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rasberry Streusel Bars



I had made the muffins, and then the raspberry chocolate cookies both of which were amazing. I then had the left over raspberries in the fridge to make the last of the three recipes. I knew I was going to make these bars, because they seemed to me to be the perfect raspberry dessert recipe. However I couldn't actually get the ambition to make them. Perhaps it was combined with the fact that it was the 4th of July and I was remaking firecracker cakes like a mad women.

I knew I had to make this recipe though and every day, and perhaps more than once a day. I would take a look in the fridge and check on my left over raspberries. Hey raspberries.. still there... still not going bad... yup someday soon I'm going to use you. Yes I did talk to raspberries.

I then made these bars late this previous week.. basically the latest I could with a guarantee that I could even make raspberry week happen. They were relatively easy to make and they were AMAZING! I was thinking why did I not make these before. These are fantastic... they don't even need chocolate to be amazing.

So I recommend that you don't procrastinate like me.. and you try this recipe right away.

Ingredients:

2½ cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
½ tsp salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (this is divided into two parts of the recipe)
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup pecans, chopped
¾ cup raspberry preserves
¾ cup fresh raspberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9X13 pan with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.

Process the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor until combined well, about 4-5 pulses. Place the 1 cup of butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces around the flour mixture in the food processor. Pulse until the butter is mixed well together but the dough is not clumping together, about 20 pulses.

Measure 1 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside into a medium sized bowl. Press the remaining flour mixture evenly into the 9X13 pan. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until edges turn brown.

While the crust is baking, add brown sugar, rolled oats, and pecans to the flour mixture that you set aside previously.  Combine it well and then add the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter by rubbing it into the mixture with your fingers. Allow the streusel to clump some.

In a separate bowl combine the preserves, raspberries and lemon juice. Mash with a fork until combined but some berry pieces remain.

When the crust comes out of the oven. Spread the raspberry filling over the hot crust. Then evenly spread the streusel over the filling. Do not press the streusel down. Bake for 22-25 minutes, the crust will be golden brown and the filling bubbly.

Let cool for 1-2 hours on a wire rack. This last direction may be the hardest to follow :)
Cut a piece and enjoy. If you have whipped cream it makes it even better.



This recipe originally appeared on the brown eyed baker website.