Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Cowboy Pork n Onion Pizza
















I was in some training today at work, and I got to see a friend that I hadn't talked to in awhile. He was telling me how he got the opportunity to travel to both Italy and Germany for work.  I could tell that he loved the experience and it was great to hear about his trip. I however turned the conversation to food... hmm like we weren't expecting that. I wanted to know if the food in Italy was as great as I would expect it would be. He said yes. Then I went on a rant of how I wanted to go to Italy to try EVERYTHING.. and someday it would be awesome to go to France and try all the desserts... and then I brought up how I loved the guacamole when I went to Mexico. When I came back from Mexico I was in guacamole withdrawal, so I had to perfect my recipe.. want the recipe check out guac waffles n waffles guac. 

















Anyone want to send me on an all expense paid trip around the world so that I can try the food in every country???  Hmm... didn't think so. Maybe if I win the lotto this week : ) So the idea for this pizza actually came from our trip to Yellowstone. About half way through the week.. I decided we needed pizza. I saw this pizza combination on the menu and I knew it would be perfect for the blog.

So make a cowboy pork n onion pizza and it will be like you traveled to Montana with me : )

Ingredients

Pizza Dough

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/4 oz package active dry yeast
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
3 3/4 flour, plus more for sprinkling the dough
1 1/2 tsp salt

Pizza Toppings

cornmeal, enough for dusting the pan
2 cups of BBQ sauce
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup pulled pork

For the pizza dough whisk the warm water and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the sugary mixture, and let it sit till its foamy (about 10 minutes). Then stir in the olive oil.

In a large bowl mix the flour and salt. Make a hole in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Gently stir the mixture until it makes a rough dough. Flour the surface you will use for kneading the dough. Turn the dough out on it and knead it for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour as needed. Brush two medium sized bowls with olive oil. Divide the dough and put one half in each bowl, turning it so that it gets covered with the olive oil.

Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature, wait for them to double in size. This will be about 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.  Dust the pizza pan with corn meal. Roll out the dough in the pizza pan.  I used a 14" pizza pan and wanted a really thick crust so I ended up using both bowls of dough. Once its rolled out put it in the oven for 5-7 minutes.



Once the crust is out of the oven. Add most of the bbq sauce to the crust like its the sauce for the pizza.
















Then add the half of the cheese and the chopped onions.
















Next add the pork and the rest of the bbq sauce.


Lastly add a little more cheese. More cheese = Better pizza.
















Bake for 8-10 minute. Slice up the pizza and serve.

Eat and Enjoy!

The pizza recipe originally appeared on Laura's Baking Talent.
The pizza dough recipe is from Food Network Magazine March 2011 The Italian Issue (Pasta Pasta Pasta, The Best of Pesto, 131 Great Recipes, Vol 4 Number 2).


You may also enjoy


















Veggie Pizzas
















Corn Chowder