Recent Posts

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Carrot Cookies with Orange Frosting


















Did you miss me? Sorry I just kind of disappeared on you guys for a couple of weeks. We went on vacation. Yeah for sunny Florida and a cruise to warmer climates. Pictures to come later. We got back last Tuesday and I was hoping to get a post in last week. However the inevitable work storm started brewing.  No worries though.. I'm now back on track.

The cookies I'm sharing today are one of my all time favorite cookie recipes. Its amazing I haven't made anything substantial for two weeks with all the traveling and work. So as I started to make these cookies I remembered why I love baking so much. Its so peaceful and its nice to mix together an old recipe and know that it will turn out and be scrumptious.

















As I made these I realized that I have quite the history with these cookies. My mom led me to the recipe, but hadn't tried them yet. I made them for the first time for Easter. Jim's family was coming up for a visit, and I made these cookies for them. I was so relieved that they tasted so good.

I shared them again when we switched churches, and I was asked to bring a dessert to our first young couple potluck. Once again they were a hit. One of the guys actually followed us out of the party to see if he could have "one" more.

















Last year I made them for my nephew's graduation party. It was a tradition for them to have cookie trays at their graduation party. I remember being worried about traveling from MI to PA with them. However once again they survived and were a huge hit.

These cookies are so moist, and the smell as you zest the orange is amazing. It will fill your kitchen and make you "believe" that spring has arrived.

















Enjoy these cookies and come back later this week to see what else I have in store for carrot week!





Carrot Cookies with Orange Frosting

Ingredients
  • 2 cups Chopped Carrots
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 Tbsp softened butter
  • 3 1/3 cup powdered sugar, divided
  • 1 1/4 tsp orange zest, plus more for decoration
  • 4 Tbsp orange juice
Cooking Directions
  1. Put chopped carrots into a medium sized saucepan. Pour 1 cup of water over carrots.
  2. Heat carrots with medium heat until they are boiling. Then cook them covered for 20 minutes.
  3. Drain cooked carrots, and then mash them.
  4. Drain mashed carrots. Repeat several times, try to get as much water out as possible. Set the carrots aside.
  5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  6. Mix together the shortening and sugar.
  7. Add the mashed carrots and the egg. Mix until well combined.
  8. In a separate medium sized bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  9. Add the flour mixture to the carrot mixture, and combine with the mixer.
  10. Drop 1 Tbsp size balls onto the cookie sheet.
  11. Bake cookies for 10 minutes.
  12. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes. Then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
  13. As the cookies cool start the frosting.
  14. Put the butter and 1 2/3 cups of powdered sugar into a large bowl. Beat them until the mixture is fluffy.
  15. Add in the full amount of orange zest and 1 2/3 Tbsp of orange juice.
  16. Beat until well combined.
  17. Then add in the remaining powdered sugar (1 2/3 cups) and the remaining orange juice (2 1/3 Tbsp).
  18. Beat again until well combined. Add more juice or powdered sugar until you get the consistency needed to frost the cookies.
  19. Frost the cooled cookies and sprinkle additional orange zest on top. 
Recipe adapted from Midwest Living

You may also enjoy
















Key Lime Pudding Cookies


















Banana Split Pudding Cookies