Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Haystacks


















How is everyone's Christmas shopping going? I am almost done. I did some serious online power shopping this weekend. I can't wait to see all the packages show up on my doorstep this week and next. My next job to tackle is the Christmas Cards.

Last year I got really sick a few weeks before Christmas, it was absolutely horrible. So I ended up doing the bare minimum. No cards, no baking and Jim did a lot of the Christmas shopping. Maybe that is why I am enjoying this year so much. Its like two years packed into one.

















So I made Haystacks for you today. Well I didn't actually make them today, but I am sharing them today. They were the first cookie I thought of when I knew that I was doing Christmas Cookie week. These cookies are genius. It takes like no time whatsoever to make them. I should have timed myself, but I'm guessing less than 10 minutes from start to finish. There is also no baking.

















One of the main ingredients is chow mein noodles. I have to admit this is the only time of the year that I buy or make anything with chow mein noodles. I know I need to get get more adventurous. Haystacks also last a really long time in the fridge. I really made these over a week ago and I ate the last one for dessert tonight and it was still as good as the first day.

















Lets summarize: Easy, No Ovens, Chow Mein Noodles, and Lasting Goodness. Yup all good reasons for you to make these and add them to your cookie trays this year. The only downfall I can come up with is that you have to make room in your fridge for them too cool. Although its currently 20 something out here in Michigan so you could just put them outside on the deck or porch. Luckily I didn't have to do that, since the neighbors already think I'm a little strange after all the outside food pictures I did this summer. Yes I am taking pictures of pork nachos on my deck.

Ingredients

1 package (11 oz) butterscotch chips
3/4 cup peanut butter
10 oz (2 cans or 1 bag) chow mein noodles
3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Start out by lining your baking sheets with parchment paper. Pre-measure out the peanut butter, chow mein noodles, and mini marshmallows.

Put the butterscotch chips into a large bowl and microwave at 70% for 1 minutes. Stir the chips. Then microwave for an additions 15 seconds at 70% power, stir and repeat until the chips are almost completely smooth. Its ok to have a few clumps.

Add in the peanut butter, and stir until everything is smooth and well combined. Then pour in the chow mein noodles and marshmallows. Mix it all together until all noodles and marshmallows are covered with butterscotch goodness.

Take large scoops out of the bowl and put them on the prepared lined cookie sheets. I used an ice cream scoop to do this. Then put them in the fridge and let them set, 30 minutes should be long enough.

This recipe was adapted from the Nestle Toll House version.

You may also enjoy




















Golden Graham Smore Bars

















Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars