Recent Posts

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cucumber Hummus

















So I'm going healthy this week... you can either love me or hate me :) Its hummus week. Yup that is right hummus. Ok... wait a minute before you disappear. At least hear me out here. A few years ago picky Laura had never tried and probably would have wrinkled her nose at hummus. I mean seriously what is hummus.

However I was at a party at a friends house. I'm not sure what the party was for now. However they had hummus and I tried it. I actually didn't know it was hummus when I tried it. It just looked good and I got some and tried it. When I loved it, I asked the host what it was and she told me hummus. Really? It was like a trick that someone plays on you to try something you know you will not like.

So I went home to tell Jim that I now loved hummus. He was amazed and excited. In general he is a lot more adventurous and a lot more healthy then me. So hummus was right up his alley.
















I started buying it at the store when it was on sale BOGO deals etc. It is kinda of expensive and honestly I am just a sale kind of girl. When we got the idea that we could make it ourselves and try out lots of different flavors.

So now we make our own hummus. It is a regular staple in our lunches. Yum! I started out with cucumber hummus, since at least here in Michigan cucumbers are growing almost as much as zucchini in the gardens.

Ingredients

1 clove garlic
1/4 cup tahini paste
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
1 cucumber, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
paprika to decorate

Start up by chopping the clove of garlic as much as you can before putting it into the food processor. Once that is complete add it to the food processor. Then add the tahini paste, lemon juice, olive oil, chickpeas, and cucumber.

Pulse the food processor till the hummus gets to the texture that you want. I did about 6 pulses. Then add the salt and pepper. I sprinkled salt and pepper around the center of the blade twice for both the salt and pepper. I know this isn't exact but its a little more direction then to taste :)
















Pulse  a few more times to integrate the salt and pepper.

If you are ready to serve put in a bowl and sprinkle with paprika. If not put in the fridge and add the paprika when you get ready to serve later.

I like to pack it with two different types of chips for my lunch. That way there is a little bit of variety and some different flavors.

So dip a chip and enjoy!

This recipe was adapted from the allrecipes website.

If you liked this recipe you may also like

















Greek Coliseum Dogs

















Zucchini Cups

4 comments:

  1. Definitely sending this recipe to my dad who has so many cucumbers right now! He would love this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE hummus, and this sounds so good right now! I could dive right into that bowl! ;)

    ReplyDelete