Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Chocolate Mint Muffins
















Has anyone else noticed the little Christmas switch that was flipped this past weekend? There were a few early blog posts and the stores were definitely into the Christmas spirit before Christmas, but there was still this reserve. Today on the way to work I noticed all these decorated houses. Its like they popped up over night. Even driving home I saw Christmas trees waiting in windows waiting for someone to light them up.
















That is one of the first things I do when we have our tree up. I say hi to Ginny and let her out, because honestly there is no getting around doing that first... but then I go and turn the Christmas tree on. You see the lights twinkle and its like these 30 seconds of bliss.

So I have to share with you the fun of these muffins. First I found these chips they were definitely going to have to be a part of chocolate mint week. Look at that snowman... its like he is saying hi I want to eat some yummy treats with you.
















I was going to put them in these Chocolate Mint Swirl Pudding cookies, which you totally have to check out if you haven't already. They got more attention on their first day then any of my other recipes. However I was a little scared about mixing too much of a good thing with the swirl and the chips. So I thought about it and decided that I wanted something for breakfast. Which lead to these cute little muffins. I found these muffin cups at Michaels for a dollar.  I love how they give you the winter spirit, but are not overly Christmasy.
















When I mixed the batter I knew these were going to be cute. They came out of the oven though and I was so excited. My poor husband just wanted to eat one... and I was like no they are too pretty must take pictures. As I was posing the food I was thinking that these would be perfect for a breakfast party. I admit I dreamed a little bit about who would come to my party... the snowman was there. He was acting as the butler. Grandma was there, she loved coffee time with mom... so mom was there too. We would talk about her candy apples and how everyone loved them.
















Then I wanted to invite Julia Child, but thought she may think they weren't good without butter. Which lead me to Ree from the Pioneer Woman. She would love my muffins and having coffee with Grandma. Then for some reason Katniss form Catching Fire came in, because I really really need to know if Peeta is ok? Who leaves a girl hanging like that. Then it went to the Queen of France on Reign. Did you know that the queen is Megan Follows from Anne of Green Gables it took me like 6 episodes to figure that out. I'd really like to compare and contrast roles with her over coffee.  















Speaking of coffee. Doesn't my little coffee mug look cute? At thanksgiving I was telling my dad that I felt my pictures need a little something something. He suggested putting in a cup or something? So dad that cup of coffee is for you. That is if the snowman didn't already drink it.

So get these chips, I found mine at Walmart. Get these cute little muffin cups and make them and host a breakfast party. If you could have a breakfast party with anyone who would it be?

Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup Milk
1/3 + 1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp mint extract
3/4 cup Mint and Dark Chocolate Chips, for batter
1/4 cup Mint and Dark Chocolate Chips to sprinkle on top

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Line muffin pan with paper muffin cups. I have a trick where I use two per muffin so that they always look fabulous.

Mix together all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and sugar. In a separate large bowl mix together the milk, vegetable oil, egg, and mint extract. You can do this by hand, because you want the batter to be a little bit lumpy.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir until just combined. Then add in the 3/4 cup of chips to the batter. Then fill the muffin cups to about 3/4s full. Then sprinkle the tops with the extra 1/4 cup of chips.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Eat and Enjoy!

This recipe originally appeared on Laura's Baking Talent.

You may also enjoy
















Raspberry Streusel Muffins















Lemon White Chocolate Muffins