Recent Posts

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Black Eyed Pea Salsa




This week is New Years week on the blog. We usually ring in the New Year pretty casually. We make a lot of apps, watch a movie and then watch the ball drop at midnight. Our app menu has included Caramelized Onion Dip and Buffalo "Chicken" Dip. I decided to do some research on New Year food traditions and found out that its a big deal to eat Black Eyed Peas on New Years. Tradition says it will bring you good luck.

















I have to admit that I had never heard of Black Eyed Peas but I am all for good luck. Shopping this weekend I looked for them, not sure what I was going to make with them yet. I looked in our normal canned veggie section and didn't have any luck. I was scanning the canned veggie aisle... when I saw a section called Southern Vegetables. Southern Vegetables? I figured it was worth a look. And there they were Black Eyed Peas. There were only 3 cans left, so I guess I was lucky to find it.

It was kind of like I had my own can of felix felicis for the new year. "Liquid Luck" for those of you that are non Harry Potter fans.


Its funny because you eat all these desserts for Christmas, and then you start the new year and want to eat healthier, but its a horrible time for fresh veggies. We are spoiled in the summer here, but in the winter you get these sad veggies in the stores and they are pretty pricey considering what you can get when everything is in season here. I kept this in mind as I picked the ingredients. I wanted a nice mix of color, with a good mixed of canned veggies and fresh veggies. I think it worked out well.

















Jim was helping me with the pictures, when came the question. Can we eat this now? I said sure. He took a big bite and was surprised by the jalapeno pepper. Usually I don't like things overly hot, but I thought this dip could use a little kick. He was hooked at that point and devoured the dip as he watched the bowl games. We did save some for New Years day, since I'm not sure celebrating early would count for our luck. If you don't like as much kick, then I would leave the jalapeno out or cut it in half.

Ingredients

1 can blacked eyed peas
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can sweet corn
1 red onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix together all of vegetables in a large bowl: black eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, onion, green pepper, cucumber, and jalapeno pepper. Once mixed sprinkle on the lime juice, salt and black pepper. Mix again until everything is combined.

Chill until ready to serve. Enjoy with chips.

This recipe originally appeared on Laura's Baking Talent.



You may also enjoy
















Pork Nachos
















Caramelized Onion Dip