Recent Posts

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Nutter Deer


















I have to admit this week's theme is kind of humorous. Lots of times I have two things that I really want to share with you and they fit together and then I do a little digging for the third. Other times I know exactly what the three things will be. Well this week I knew I wanted to keep doing stuff that would be fun for Christmas. I also had one of the ideas picked out. The other two though were kind of floating out there.

I finally decided on three things that I really wanted to share with you that I thought were cute and super fun to make for the holidays. The one thing that they all have in common is that they involve Christmas M&Ms. So yup you guessed it. Its Christmas M&M week.

















Now that I had my theme I needed to get supplies to make the last two posts. We ventured to Walmart yesterday to get our Xmas Cards and to get the supplies I needed. You will never guess what, they were out of Christmas M&Ms. They had lots of flavored ones (gingerbread, mint, etc). However they didn't have the traditional red and green M&Ms. So since these were the M&Ms I needed in my head... I had to make poor Jim drive us slipping and sliding to another store that luckily had them.

These Nutter Deer are too cute. They are almost to cute to eat in my opinion. We have a cookie n cake event at our church today.  After which we are going to see the Best Christmas Pageant ever at the local theater. I think that everyone will love these guys :) They are relatively easy to make, but I have to warn you I had some issues with attaching the antlers. I had to support the newly attached antlers with another cookie till it dried. So I had a whole assembly line going. I ended up doing 4 rotated the plat did 4 more and then the original ones were secure enough to move.





















I used green for the eyes, because yes I had to have Christmas M&Ms. You could do brown or blue for the eyes as well. Maybe yellow or orange if you wanted alien reindeer. I also thought that it may be cute to do some brown M&M noses so that they are all not Rudolph. Just a thought.

Ingredients

1 pkg Nutter Butter Sandwich cookies
1 pkg Christmas M&Ms
40 square pretzels broken in half
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1.5 Tbsp milk + additional as needed

Start out by making the glaze that you will use to attach the M&Ms and pretzels. Put the powdered sugar, corn syrup and milk into a small bowl. Mix with a spoon until everything is well combined. Test the constinency of the glaze. You want it to be pliable enough to work with but not runny. If it is to thick add more milk, until you get the texture needed. If too runny add more powdered sugar. Its easier to add more milk than powdered sugar so go conservative on the milk.

Take a nutter butter and place it on a plate. Take an M&M and add some glaze on the back of it and attach to the Nutter Butter. Do this for the eyes and nose. Then take a knife and add a small amount of glaze to the top of the cookie and attache the pretzels for antlers.

The glaze holding the antlers may need a few minutes to set before you move the cookie. Continue until all cookies are decorated.

Eat and Enjoy!

The glaze recipe was adapted from King Arthur Flour.

You may also enjoy
















 Haystacks


















M&M Cookies