Recent Posts

Monday, May 26, 2014

Chicago Dogs

















Happy Memorial Day Everyone! I hope that you have all celebrated with a parade, a BBQ or a golf tournament (ok that is probably just the people in my area). Celebrating Memorial day means that summer is in full swing. I love burgers, kabobs, and pretty much anything that goes on the grill. However I really love hot dogs.

Why do I love hotdogs? Well they are super easy. You just take them out of the package and throw them on the grill and you are good. However I agree that a plain hot dog is not overly exciting. So at our house we like to dress up our hotdogs. The great thing about dressing up your hot dogs is that you can prepare everything in advance.

















You can chop up the veggies you are adding and its easy to pull them out before serving. I have done Greek coliseum dogs, German pretzel dogs, and Mexican hot dogs.  I even make my Tzatziki dip for the Greek coliseum dogs. However I realized that I didn't have any American hot dog versions. Since we live really close to Chicago you can't get more American than a Chicago dog. We made these earlier this weekend and they were super easy to make and so delicious.

To make a Chicago dog you need sliced tomatoes (I got smaller ones), mustard, relish, diced onions, thin sliced dill pickles, and celery salt. Traditionally they also have a sport pepper on them, but I'm dubbing it optional. You can buy poppy seed buns, or make your own especially if you have a random overly large jar of poppy seeds you are waiting to use up. Who me?

I hope you try these and add a little Chicago Style to your BBQ this summer.





Chicago Dogs

Ingredients
  • 4 hot dog buns
  • 1 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
  • 4 hot dogs
  • 3 small tomatoes sliced
  • 2 dill pickles sliced in half
  • yellow mustard
  • relish
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 sport pepper (optional)
  • celery salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Start by warming the hot dog buns in the microwave for 15 seconds.
  2. When the buns have been removed from the microwave brush the top of them with the melted butter.
  3. Sprinkle the buns with the poppy seeds.
  4. Grill the hot dogs on the grill for 3 minutes, rotating them once per minute.
  5. Lay the tomatoes on one side of the bun.
  6. Then add one hot dog to each bun.
  7. Put the dill pickle on top of the hot dog opposite of the tomatoes.
  8. Add yellow mustard and relish to the top of the hot dog.
  9. Sprinkle on the diced onion.
  10. Top with a sport pepper (optional).
  11. Shake celery salt over the whole hot dog.
You may also enjoy

















Mexican Hot dogs



















Greek Coliseum Dogs

















German Pretzel Dogs