Recent Posts

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


















I feel like I'm trying to speed summer up in Michigan by posting a Strawberry recipe. Michigan strawberries won't be ready for a couple more weeks, if we are lucky. When I think of strawberries I instantly think of strawberry rhubarb pie. This is my grandpa's favorite pie. If you see him in the summer and show up with a strawberry rhubarb pie you will definitely be his favorite person.

As a kid I was not a super fan of pie crust, I would always eat the center of the pie and then throw away the crust. My parents never really minded which is good. When I started baking I had started eating my crusts, but was a little intimidated to make my own pie crust. I have since gotten over that fear. However I found this recipe before that and it is so delicious it will have a permanent spot in my recipe collection.

















You get all the goodness of the center of the pie without you guessed it the crust. This recipe is relatively easy to make. Mix all the fruity stuff and then top with the crisp topping. However I have to give a disclaimer that chopping the strawberries and rhubarb takes some time. It is well worth it in the end though.

I took the pictures with some whipped cream on top, which tastes fantastic. Does whipped cream taste bad on anything? I didn't think so. However its is even better with vanilla ice cream. You get this warm vs cold thing going on that is hard to resist.




Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced
  • 4 cups strawberries, diced
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 1 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the strawberries, rhubarb and 3/4 cup of the sugar.
  3. In a small bowl dissolve the corn starch into the orange juice.
  4. Mix orange juice into the fruit.
  5. Pour fruit mixture into a 1.5 qt baking dish.
  6. In a large bowl mix together the flour, brown sugar, salt and oatmeal.
  7. Add the butter and cut it into the mixture with a pastry cutter or a fork.
  8. Sprinkle the oatmeal mixture on the fruit.
  9. Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet.
  10. Bake for 1 hour. Check the color of the topping at 45 minutes, and cover with foil if it is getting too brown.
  11. Serve warm.
Recipe Source: Laura's Baking Talent

You may also enjoy

















Traditional Strawberry Shortcake


















Strawberry Shortcake Cookies